Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Baking Blunders


    Ok, it’s time for a blonde moment. 
    
    I’ve come to the realization that I should abandon any thought of becoming a professional baker. Giving me a recipe is like handing a 3 year old a geometry problem. Every time I bake, even if I painstakingly attempt to measure everything correctly, I still manage to screw it up. 

   Well it happened again. 

   Last week, I wanted to bake a treat, but as it was 85 degrees outside, turning on the oven was out of the question. I was craving cookie dough but didn’t want to risk eating the raw eggs, so I decided on a much healthier choice: eggless cookie dough. Butter, brown sugar, vanilla, flour and more butter.
 
   Well, I managed to mix up everything properly, and a short 45 minutes later I had a bowl of the best sand you ever tasted. An extra bag of chocolate chips and 2 cups of sugar later it still tasted the same. Yum.
    

   So I thought, since it already tastes awful, it can’t hurt to try baking it in the toaster oven, right? Brilliant idea, Molly. Five minutes later, the toaster oven was belching smoke and that innocent little lump of dough was a blackened puddle. The weird thing is, the dough was so horrible that it actually tasted better burned. Sort of like caramelized sugar. Most people post pictures of their beautiful baking creations on their blogs... but then again, I'm not most people.
    
   Take two involved heating the dough in the microwave. Let's just say, it became nicely congealed... but at least the chocolate melted, so that improved the taste. Slightly.
 

   Even my brother, who will eat anything sweet, could barely choke it down.
 

   Oh well. Somehow I know that even though I always fail, I’ll eventually end up forgetting past disasters and keep trying to bake a masterpiece… If nothing else, that should at least guarantee future stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment