Monday, August 4, 2014

The Poetic Genius of a Blonde

   I guess you could say the right side of my brain is more dominant than the left. Meaning I stink less at English than Math.


   But when it comes to poetry, forget it. I've never had a knack for double meanings, deep symbolism, clever pithiness, and that sort of thing. So I just write short, meaningless verses for the fun of it.


   Here are a few gems I found from school projects of the past, all from ages 8 to 12. They're too good not to share.


   Polly
 
  There once was a girl named Molly
   Who owned a pet bird named Polly
   Polly bit off her hand,
   Flew to a land,
   And left a one-handed Molly.


   Colors
   Blue is the sky that sometimes is gray.
   Red is the rose that appears in May.
   Green is the trees that sway in the breeze.
   Yellow is pollen that makes me sneeze.

   What Is Me
   Kicking, twirling, running, jumping,
   Blowing into a flute.
   Leaping, sleeping, eating, reading are all what I like to do.
   Singing at church, though I don’t prefer it, is what I do to learn.
   Every day schoolwork finds me and I have to go through
   That torture in order to “nurture my mind”.
   But when at last my day is done,
   I thank God for my torture or fun,
   Either one is a blessing
   And I thank Him for my lessons.

   A Mess
   I whipped my clothes in a heap
   But my cell phone started to beep
   So I grabbed it, but I knocked
   Over a basket of socks.
   And now the room is in a deep.

   Another Color Poem
   What is green? The grass is green
   By the pesticides not seen.
   What is yellow? The sun is yellow
   Melting all the snow below.


   A Haiku
   Looking for my keys,
   Instead I found my lipstick.

   I look good locked out.

  

   Don't be surprised when my name appears right up there with Emily Dickinson! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment